Tehri Gears Up for Tourist Boom With Glass Bridge, Ropeway & More

With the government's steadfast commitment to sustainable development, Tehri is poised to emerge as a vibrant hub of tourism activities
Tehri Garhwal is a district in the hill state of Uttarakhand. Its administrative headquarters is at New Tehri
Tehri Garhwal is a district in the hill state of Uttarakhand. Its administrative headquarters is at New TehriShutterstock

Tehri, a scenic district in Uttarakhand, is poised for a significant transformation, with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) approving INR 1294 crore for various developmental projects. Under this arrangement, ADB will cover 80 per cent of the project expenses, with the Government of Uttarakhand shouldering the remaining 20 per cent.

Sachin Kurve, Secretary of Tourism and CEO of the Uttarakhand Tourism Development Board revealed that to foster sustainable, inclusive, and climate-resilient tourism in designated regions of Tehri, the Uttarakhand government has resolved to develop Tehri Lake and its environs as a "Special Tourist Area." This decision led to establishing the Tehri Special Area Development Authority (TADA) under the Tehri Special Area Development Act of 2013.

Subsequent to this, extensive consultations were held with the Department of Economic Affairs of the Government of India, and proposals were submitted to ADB. These efforts have now culminated in establishing a Project Management Unit (PMU) under the Uttarakhand Tourism Development Board (UTDB) to supervise the implementation of the entire project.

Kurve elaborated that the project, spanning six years, will undertake various infrastructure development endeavours in the region, anticipated to catalyse tourism-related economic activities. Emphasising the project's objective of tourism infrastructure enhancement, he highlighted the paramount importance of augmenting the green cover, livelihood generation, and implementing robust solid and liquid waste management practices while minimising disruption to the natural and socio-cultural milieu.

Furthermore, governmental approval has been secured to solicit tenders for two projects: the upgrading of the Inter-State Bus Terminus (ISBT) and the City Center, valued at INR 24.33 crore, and the Tehri Green Cover & Afforestation initiative in the Tehri Area, valued at INR 29.12 crore.

As an integral component of the project, a Project Management & Design Supervision Consultant (PMDSC) will be appointed to strategise and oversee the comprehensive progress of all activities. Fifty-six positions have been authorised for the project, encompassing roles such as engineers, architects, environmental experts, gender specialists, and community advocates. Their collective responsibility will ensure that developmental initiatives adhere to globally recognised environmental and socio-cultural standards.

Seven priority projects have been identified for execution, including the two for which tender invitations have been sanctioned:

  • Establishment of a 15.7 km Tourism Road from Koti Colony to Dobra Chanti Bridge, featuring dedicated cycling tracks, scenic viewpoints, and designated hawker areas.

  • Construction of a 450-meter-long Glass Bottom Pedestrian Suspension Bridge from Koti Colony to Tiwar village.

  • Creation of a Cultural Haat and Uttarakhand Architecture Theme Park at Dobra-Chanti.

  • Enhancement of village infrastructure at Tiwar Village.

  • Implementation of a new ropeway project at Tipri-Madan Negi Ropeway.

Additionally, procurement plans include acquiring modern water safety and hygiene equipment, such as ambulance boats, search and rescue vessels, control room apparatus, and solid waste management machinery, to further bolster project efficacy and safety measures.

Furthermore, the project will encompass Smart Infrastructure Improvement initiatives, incorporating interventions such as a Weather Monitoring System, Environmental Data Collection, and establishing an Integrated Command Control Center (ICCC). An integral aspect of the developmental agenda will involve extensive stakeholder consultations, engaging residents of the area, hotel and homestay operators, and various segments of society, ensuring that developmental objectives are achieved with active local participation.

Related Stories

No stories found.
Outlook Traveller