November is observed as World Vegan Month across the globe. The benefits of veganism as a way of life are discussed and promoted through a variety of campaigns during this month. While the taste might not be identical, vegan dishes deserve to be added to the palate and here is a quick recipe for an enduring Indian dessert to help kickstart your experiment.
Almond Barfi by Nikhil Bendre, Chef, Urban Platter
Note from the chef To replicate Barfi's decadence and mouthfeel in vegan versions, our best bet is to use rich nuts such as soaked and peeled almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts etc. Pairing these with plant milk and sweeteners will give a beautiful texture to the Barfi. We must understand that having an exact vegan replica will be very difficult for an item like Barfi that is completely dairy-based. Thus, we must be prepared to adjust our palate.
Ingredients for Vegan Almond Barfi 200g California Almonds 1/3 cup Sugar 1/4 cup Almond Milk 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1) Blanch the California Almonds in boiling water for 30 seconds.
2) Let the almonds soak in hot water for 2-3 minutes and then strain.
3) Peel the skin of the almonds and set them aside.
4) Once all the almonds are peeled, pat dry on a kitchen towel.
4) Add the almonds and grind them to a fine powder in a blender jar.
5) Next, in a saucepan, add coconut oil, the prepared almond powder, sugar, cardamom powder and almond milk.
6) Mix everything well and cook it on low-medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes until a soft dough forms.
7) Transfer to a square or rectangle mould lined with baking paper.
8) Top with some sliced almonds and press the Barfi until it is compressed and tight.
9) Refrigerate for a few hours until set.
10) Once set, cut it into small pieces and enjoy